Sunday, September 7, 2008

Memories – A Most Precious Possession

A friend of mine, and fellow blogger, asked me to contribute a favorite childhood story to her for use in a post she is working on. While I didn’t mind sharing a story, I had to stop and think for a bit because I realized that I hadn’t thought about my childhood much in quite a while.

All of that musing got me to thinking about how memory works and what a remarkable thing it is. My friend shared a story with me about catching fireflies, or lightening bugs, as some people call them (what they are called seems to depend on what part of the country you are from). Reading her story brought back memories from when I was young and chasing them around the yard. I found that I could feel the coolness of the grass, smell the scent of the pine trees, and see my parents sitting on the porch waiting for me to return with a captured lightening bug.


Memory can be a magical thing. We can see people long dead again, relive childhood events, re-experience that first kiss, and countless other things. Many things can trigger a memory: a sight, a sound, a smell. They can come on you unexpectedly. Unfortunately, we sometimes remember things we wish we could forget.


Our memories can store a remarkable collection of eclectic stuff. Have you ever heard music playing only to realize that the music was playing in your own mind? Sometimes a song can get stuck in your mind and just keeps playing over and over. Have you ever walked through a store and had a smell trigger a memory from your past?

If you haven’t looked back into your memories for a while, it might be good to dust off some of those memory bits and take a look around. Don’t dwell on hurtful things but look for those long forgotten gems and enjoy them again.

No comments: