Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Floridian on Ice

I have just returned from a trip to the frozen north. I was just south of Michigan in an area that gets lake effect snow, and I was definitely not in my element. While many people may know how to deal with this white stuff that was covering my rental car and the highways, it was quite an adventure for me. Here is the view from my car:
I had to borrow a scraper and brush thingie from the front desk staff at the hotel where I was staying, apparently economy cars do not come supplied with anything to help with snow and ice removal. Wonder if my credit card would have still worked after using it as an ice scraper?
It continued to snow through much of the day. I played tourist and took these shots of the office complex where I was working and some of the cars in the parking lot. My apologies to the unfortunate vehicles stuck behind me while I was driving on the road. I was too terrified by the ice and snow and found that I just couldn't drive any faster than 20 - 25 MPH.
Snow can be very pretty. Even though this is a color picture it looks more black and white because of the snow and the trees. If not for having to drive, I would have really enjoyed this weather.
This last shot is taken from my hotel room. Oh boy, more snow. The next morning I found that I was unable to open my car door. It was frozen shut. I was wishing for a long extension cord and a very large blow dryer. Eventually I was able to chisel my way into the car. It was a couple of hours before I could feel my feet and fingers again.
As I write this I'm back where the weather is far more civilized [for me]. For those of you who live in those type of conditions, you are stronger than I. Alas, I prefer my water in liquid form.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.