Sunday, February 3, 2008

Bitten by a bug

This is not the Blog I had in mind for this week, but like many people at this time of year I’ve been bitten by a bug. No, I’m not talking about the small, flying type of bug like a mosquito, but rather the stealthy type that hops from person to person. I’m not sure who I should thank for this cold or flu or some combination of both that has felled me, but they could have kept it to themselves.

Now, I’m not a doctor nor should my advice be used in place of sound medical advice, but there are a lot of common sense things to do when you are under the weather. Some people call them folk remedies, naturopathic, or homeopathic medicines, but whatever you call them keep this in mind: for most of the history of humanity we did not have modern pharmaceutical companies producing wonder drugs, instead we used plants, minerals, and foods to cure what ailed us. Our ancestors must have known something or we wouldn’t be here.

The proliferation of drug-resistant bacteria should also be a warning to us that we rush to the doctor for antibiotics much too often. Heck, a cold or flu is not even caused by bacteria but rather a virus – and you can’t cure a virus with an antibiotic. Next time you’re bitten by a bug try some common sense folk remedies instead. They will lessen the symptoms just a well as some “wonder drug”, will cost a lot less, and probably be better for you anyway (have you ever read the drug fact sheet that comes with your prescription? those things scare me more than what made me sick to begin with!).

One of the simplest things to do is have some chicken soup. Many cultures over the ages have been feeding this to folks sick with a cold or flu. Don’t believe me, check out this article – it even comes with a handy recipe. It is simple, soothing, lessens your symptoms, and requires no FDA warnings.

What if you have a lot of congestion? Did you know that milk makes mucus? Now I love milk and when I’m sick a quick bowl of cereal is easy to fix. However, a very wise lady warned me about this, but not believing her at first I tested it out much to my discomfort. Here’s a Web article stating the same thing, plus it has a whole long list of other good advice. Looking for a quick way to open up those blocked sinuses? Try steam. Something as simple as a hot bath or shower can do wonders to open up your sinuses. Add some lavender, peppermint or eucalyptus to aid the process.

Now I know it’s the American way to work no matter what, but I wish people would stay home with their illness instead of sharing it with everyone, especially in the early stages when you are so very contagious. And I especially ‘enjoy’ shaking hands with someone who then (after letting me shake their hand) goes on to tell me how sick they are. Ugh!

If you or someone you love is not feeling well here are a couple of other Web sites with more good advice and remedies. This one has tons of advice for colds or flu, while this one includes some advice for herbs that may help prevent or reduce the effect of the bug. Common sense is the best remedy for simple illness. Save the doctor for the big stuff. Oh, if you need a doctor that knows a lot about natural and homeopathic medicines, check out Dr. Samuel Mason.

1 comment:

Lee Cantrell said...

One thing I forgot to mention is the importance of hand washing. You don't even need fancy antibacterial soaps, just time. Make sure you scrub your hands for at least 40 seconds.
Frequent hand washing can prevent a ton of illness. Just do it.