Sunday, March 9, 2008

Childhood’s End

Tomorrow is my birthday and I’m in a rather down mood. No, I’m not hung up on the age thing. I feel that age has three categories: chronological, mental, and physical -- as long as the mental and physical are less than the chronological then you are doing OK. My problem is that I’ve no one left to celebrate with, or maybe I should say that there is no one who cares to celebrate with me.

Birthday celebrations are a thing for family and some friends. It’s generally a youth oriented activity with exceptions for special family members. Unfortunately, I’ve run out of family (no, I didn’t bump them off: cancer and heart attacks did it). I do have a friend who usually calls me and sends a card, but there is enough of the child in me still to want a cake and some balloons, maybe a party with fun activities. Oh well.

So tomorrow I will put a candle in a cupcake and sing “Happy Birthday to me”. I’ll probably treat myself to lunch out somewhere and maybe buy a book or music CD. Life is what you make of it. Even if there is no one else to party with, have a party with yourself. After all, you spend a lot of time together, might as well make the best of it.

1 comment:

Lee Cantrell said...

Thought I'd mention that Arthur C. Clarke wrote a very interesting science fiction book called "Childhood's End".