Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's resolutions

Ah yes, here we are at that fateful time of year where many a person will resolve to do this or not do that. It’s another tradition that has been with us for a very, very long time. I got to wondering how long we’ve been doing this to ourselves and discovered that this goes back to the time of the Babylonian’s (who’s most popular [recorded] resolution was to return borrowed farm equipment). Seems we’ve been torturing ourselves for much longer than I thought!

Personally I’ve come to the realization that it is not good to set a bunch of unrealistic goals for myself and then not be able to achieve them. It’s not good for my (or anyone’s) self worth. It is much easier to be one’s own worse enemy than it is to be one’s own best friend. I have learned that if you can’t like yourself then it is very hard to truly like others; and there is one thing that I know for sure, you can’t make it through life without friends. I am very grateful for my good fortune to have some very good friends.

So, with all of that said, I want to list a few “non-resolutions” – suggestions for things for all of us (myself included) to consider doing (and, yes, this is me stepping up on my soapbox again):
  1. Be kinder to one another.
  2. Take care of our home, our real home: Earth. Recycle wherever possible (Circuit City takes rechargeable batteries; Publix takes plastic bags, paper bags, and foam cartons; many communities have drop sites where you can take aluminum, plastic bottles, and glass; Staples takes some brands of empty toner and ink jet printer cartridges). Try to use less water, less energy, and other non-renewable resources.
  3. Invest in the future: support education (read a book or magazine, watch a nature or science program on PBS – NOVA is a favorite of mine). Encourage a child to learn about science.
  4. Don't believe everything you hear on the TV or read in the papers. Remember who owns those sources (a very few, big corporations) and that they do not have your best interests in mind. Instead, try to read more from non-traditional sources: PBS TV and NPR radio, Free Speech TV, Free Inquiry magazine, and Mother Jones are just a couple of suggestions.
  5. Be a volunteer. I’ve found that getting involved with something is very fulfilling. Many communities are allowing retired folks (who are on limited incomes) to “pay” their taxes by doing volunteer work.
I also have one important, and personal, resolution for this year: find a job. If you’ve read my earlier posts you know that late last year I quit my job. So this is one resolution I’ve got to reach soon (or you might not see many more posts from me!).

In closing I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year! I hope that you have a happy and enjoyable day. As for me, I’ll be sitting down to a traditional dinner tonight of ham and black eyed peas (with rice) for a dose of luck for the coming year.

No comments: